Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Teaching practicum, day seven.

I only had year eight to teach today. I had them watching a documentary DVD on fast food (yes, that one) so I didn't have to do much except play policeman and give the kids who dare spoke a death stare.

I'm settling in quite well at school. It sucks that I'm only there for three weeks, though. I think I'm getting a tad too attached. Despite the tough kids, I'm not even sure if I really want to leave at the end of it. There's such a strong sense of community amongst the staff, and I feel so quite at home there now. I love how everyone supports one another and are just so chummy. It's the kind of community that I want in on.

Meanwhile, I've given up on my curriculum portfolio. I've just let it go and I'm not going to stress about it. At the moment, I've decided that the marks I could gain from doing more work on it won't make up for the marks I'll lose for handing it in late. And I've lost all motivation for it, really. I'll just hand in what I've got and cross my fingers. I'll have a chat to my lecturer too, and see where that goes.

It was getting in the way of writing my lesson plans. My bestmate Sarge noted the irony in that a piece of work about learning to teach was getting in the way of actually teaching.


Listening to:
Title: Lilac Wine (Live, Palais Theatre, Melbourne Australia)
Artist: Jeff Buckley
Album/station: Mystery White Boy: Live '95-'96 (2000)
Length: 5.19